Friday, April 20, 2018

Me & Mr. McQueen

Here is a special treat for my blog followers: an essay written by my sweet mom.  Thanks, Mom. 



Sometimes we cross paths with special human beings in this world, not realizing until much later, just how they will touch our lives.

In 1958 I fell hard for Steve McQueen.  He was new on the scene, a young actor playing a bounty hunter on the TV series called Wanted Dead or Alive.  He was 28 and I was 14, half his age, but still old enough to develop a serious crush on the man.  His sultry, sexy look, those piercing blue eyes and his humble shyness spoke directly to my young senses. I was hooked.  Never missing an episode, I watched Josh Randall each week triumph  over evil and round up the bad guys.



Of course I did feel a little disloyal to my first love, Elvis Presley.  Waiting patiently for Elvis, only nine years my senior, I totally felt he was within marital reach.  Elvis rented a house nearby and I knew plenty of people who worked with him.  He played football at neighboring Beverly Glen Park.  It was just a matter of time.  But as I waited for an introduction, young beautiful Priscilla, a girl with big hair and tons of eye makeup snagged him right out from under me.  Bitch!....Oh sorry, have I digressed?

Anyway, to continue...as a high school senior in 1962, I was a member of a club called the Debues, similar to a college sorority.  At the close of every senior year, our club always held a banquet to recognize outstanding achievements, present awards and crown a Queen.  A dinner dance followed the ceremony.  The arrangement committee hoped to find a well-know celebrity to do the honors and this is where I came in.  I was approached to see if I might secure someone recognizable to crown the queen.


At the time, my mother was shooting a TV series at Desilu Studios in Culver City.  I drove over to the set and met with her assistant.  Putting our heads together, we decided to peruse the actor's catalog, a thick book of all S.A.G. members.  Not only were pictures included, but also ages, film credits, agent and manager's names and numbers and best of all, contact numbers!  What a wonderful resource, especially for me!


I opened the book and my finger landed on none other than my crush, Steve McQueen!


"Oh, I love him!" I shouted.  I stared at his home phone number and thought,


"Oh my God, should I call him?  Do I have the guts?  What if he answers?  What will I say.  Ok.  Breathe" I told myself.  I picked up the phone and dialed away. 


He answered.


"Uh, Mr. McQueen? Hello there" I stammered.  "My name is Joanna Haymes.  My mom is Joanne Dru and I'm at the studio with her right now.  I'm a senior at University High School.  Our club is having a senior banquet at the Riviera Country Club before our June graduation.  We would be so honored if you would be able to come and Queen our Crown....oops, sorry, I mean Crown our Queen!  Sorry.  We would be so honored."  I spoke as fast as I could before he hung up- and rambling like an idiot.  God, I was so nervous.  My face burned with embarrassment.  But he was cool.


He asked the date.  I told him.  He asked the time.  I told him.  He asked how long it would take and I told him,


"Less than an hour".


"Well Joanna", he said, "I'm working on a film right now (The Honeymoon Machine).  It is supposed to wrap the week before your banquet.  If it does, Neile and I are going to Palm Springs for a little break together.  If not, I'd be happy to be there and help you out.  I actually live near the Riviera.  May I call you and let you know?"


Oh HELL YES, call me anytime, Steve...I said to myself.  Out loud it was,


"Well of course, Mr. McQueen," and I gave him our phone number.


"Joanna, please call me Steve" he remarked.


OH HELL YES Steve...again, speaking only to myself, and then I said,


"Thanks Steve.  I hope you can do it.  I'll wait to hear from you".  And we hung up.


Whew....it was intense.  I was sweating like a pig (though my mother always told me "horses sweat, men perspire and ladies dew").  Whatever!  I had just spoken to my fantasy man, Steve McQueen...so sorry Elvis.


I'd been around many actors, but could never recall feeling as tongue tied and asinine as I felt that afternoon.  But just talking to him and the thought of meeting him?  Well, you can only imagine.


A few days later, mom and I were at home and the phone rang.  She picked it up.  "Hi, this is Steve McQueen" a man said.  "May I speak to Joanna?" 


"Whose calling again?" mom queried.


"It's Steve McQueen"


With wary eyes she handed me the phone...."Someone claiming to be Steve McQueen is on the phone for you".


With a pounding heart, I casually said,


"Oh, hi Steve".


"Hi Joanna, it turns out that we're wrapping the film on schedule and will be going to Palm Springs after all.  I'm really sorry.  I wish I could be there for you".  He went on to suggest his friend, an actor named Clu Gulager and gave me the home phone number.


Though deflated, I sincerely thanked him for considering it at all, and wished him a happy time in Palm Springs.


And thanks to him, I was able to secure his friend, Clu.  On the evening of our banquet, the queen was crowned by this very nice, good-looking actor.  Sadly, though, he wasn't my first choice, Steve McQueen.


And now the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say.  After Her Highness was crowned and presented a large bouquet of roses, she was handed a long, gold floral box.  Inside, there were two dozen long-stemmed roses.  Nestled among the stems was a card that read, "To the Queen, sorry I couldn't be there.  Congratulations!" and it was signed, Steve McQueen.


Wow!  What a thoughtful thing to do and how very gracious of him.  So you see, in a way, he was part of our evening.  I don't remember who the Queen was, but I certainly hope she appreciated the gesture and that she may still have that card today.  And perhaps a rose, pressed in between the pages of her teenage diary.  I would have done that.  Who knew that Steve McQueen would become one of our biggest and most respected stars?


Years later, I was at a restaurant in Malibu, waiting for a table with a group of friends.  Sitting at the bar, I began chatting with a man on my left.  He seemed ordinary enough; ruggedly good looking with a full beard and those piercing blue eyes.  I don't remember our conversation, only that he was especially nice.  But there also seemed to be a kind of sadness about him.  Maybe it was the alcohol.  About 15 minutes later, when our table was ready, I said goodbye and excused myself.   While walking through the restaurant my husband said to me,


"You know who you have been chatting with, right?"


Sadly, I'm the most clueless of Hollywood star spotters.  Rarely can I recognize a celebrity.  So naturally, I didn't realize who the man was.  Had I known, I would have said, "Thank you.  Thank you for the roses.  Thank you for your thoughtfulness.  Thank you for the work you've done through the years.  Thank you for being such a special guy.  You couldn't possibly know how, many years ago, you touched the life of a young girl.  You're a true gentleman, Mr. McQueen, and I'm glad that our paths have finally crossed."






The End

No comments:

Post a Comment